After the ball ……..

Last week I was chatting with my hairdresser, Penny, of Penelope Jane Hair Boutique, at Gumdale as she cut my very short, greying hair and gave me a general tidy-up. She mentioned that her team had been invited to a ball and it took me back ……………….

When I was a young teacher in Nanango I had a wonderful time at the local balls which were held a few times a year in the South Burnett District in the lovely old community halls, Tara’s Hall in Nanango and others in Kumbia, Wooroolin and Tingoora – these were all small country towns nearby.

What a business it was though to prepare for these Friday Night balls! As soon as school was out I’d rush to the hairdressers to have my hair done. After it was shampooed it would be wound tightly on rollers – and, of course, I had long hair in those days so that it could be put up. Then I would sit under the drier which would pump hot air onto the rollers and it would be very uncomfortable and burning hot. I remember trying to slide my glasses in over my ears so that I could read a magazine to pass the 40 minutes or so that it took to dry. What a relief it was when it was finally dry! Then the rollers would be removed, my hair would be brushed out and the hairdresser would attack it with a teasing comb – making backward and forward movements so that the hair knotted and gained body. She would then mould it into the required position, putting about 100 pins into it to hold it in place. she would curl little strands of hair near my ears around her finger to make a little ringlet on each side. Then copious amounts of hair spray would be sprayed on so that my hairdo would last the night out no matter how boisterous my dancing became. The whole process would have taken at least three hours!

At Nanango Rural Youth Debutante Ball 1969 with Joy Perrett, Belle of the Ball. My hair isn’t “up” but it does contain many pins and lots of hairspray.

The balls were great fun and it was just fun in those days – I don’t remember any alcohol. I do remember the large teapots of sweet milky tea and horrible sweet coffee made from coffee essence being brought around to fill our china cups and the wonderful array of freshly made sandwiches and home made cakes. Supper was always delicious.

But when I got home about 1:30am, it was annoying. I could’t sleep with all those pins in my hair, so no matter how tired I was, I had to take my hair out. Brushing out the teasing was a painful process too.

Now my visits to the hairdressers are very pleasant. I’m offered tea, coffee or water and then I take my seat on the lovely massage chair which massages my whole body whilst one of the team shampoos my hair and gives me a wonderful scalp massage – such bliss – I wish it could go on for hours. Then my trim and blow dry takes no time at all and I’m out of there, looking and feeling great. Even if I was going to a ball, my visit to the hairdresser would be just the same – no need for all that carry-on.

How things have changed!

4 thoughts on “After the ball ……..

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s